John Holt – Founding Partner
John Holt is the Managing Member and Founder of Southwest Risk Management. Prior to establishing Southwest Risk Management, he managed agency operations for a large regional agency for over 20 years. Previous experience includes serving as a member of the Board of Directors, Vice-President, Branch Manager, and Producer. He also served as Vice President of Marketing for an affiliated workers’ compensation insurance carrier where he opened new states and developed niche programs throughout the southwestern United States.
Mr. Holt’s insurance career began in 1977 as a service representative for a large regional independent insurance agency. He became an agent in 1978 and in the first year ranked as one of the top new business producers in the entire company. He was ultimately promoted to Branch Manager of the agency’s largest branch office in Northern California. As Branch Manager his responsibilities included business planning, marketing and sales, budgeting, oversight of group medical and workers’ compensation claims departments, production and all agency support staff. The office became the most profitable in the company with unprecedented growth and underwriting profit. John’s clientele included significant agribusiness enterprises including one of the largest lettuce processors, the largest broccoli grower, and the largest contiguous vineyard in the United States.
He assumed regional management responsibilities for central and northern CA offices and was responsible for all aspects of agency operations and directed the marketing effort for the regional office. He pioneered group endorsed programs for cooperatives and marketed products to cooperative membership. These included Blue Diamond Almonds, Diamond Walnut, Sun-Maid Raisins, Cotton Gin Cooperatives, California Association of Wine Grape Growers (CAWG) and others.
Because of his expertise with groups and cooperatives he was promoted to vice president of marketing and oversaw operations in the Northwest and later the Southwest. He developed a number of programs that contributed to an initial public offering.
John is dedicated to educational and professional excellence. Some educational achievements include the five required institutes to earn the Certified Insurance Counselor designation. He also has completed Certified Risk Managers International - Principles of Risk Management and Analysis of Risk. He earned the AFIS designation in March 2006.
Steve Hanrahan - Owner Partner
Steve Hanrahan’s leadership and expertise in commercial middle market business segment immediately positioned Southwest Risk Management as a major regional force. His understanding and experience with middle market clients provides a distinct competitive advantage for the sales team.
Steve Hanrahan’s work experience began in 1998 as an intern for an independent insurance agency. After attending Arizona State University, Steve accepted a position at large agency in Mesa, Arizona as a producer. After one year with the agency, Steve was promoted to Senior Account Executive. His responsibilities included training new producers, acting as the liaison between insurance carriers and the agency while maintaining and servicing his book of business.
Steve was the first agent to successfully triple his book of business in only three years. In addition, he was recognized as top producer for two years and routinely met sales goals with record performance. Steve specializes in writing commercial insurance accounts, including middle market commercial (manufacturing, distributors, wholesale / retail) and residential construction and transportation. He developed a five-year business model to maximize asset protection. He provides risk-reducing training to minimize frequency and severity of insurance claims with proven effectiveness. The five-year business model and risk reduction program created by Steve has drastically improved a number of clients' loss ratio history.
His clientele include a number of local and long haul trucking companies. The average fleet of trucks for his client’s is 80 to 2,000. To maintain his relationships with the trucking companies and to stay current on the industry, he is a member of the Arizona Trucking Association.
Steve is dedicated to professional and educational excellence.
Terry Larsen - Owner Partner
Terry Larsen joined Southwest Risk Management’s administrative team to strategically position the agency for continued growth and development in several core business segments.
Terry Larsen’s insurance career began in 1989 as a life and health agent for an independent insurance agency.
In 1994 after developing many business relationships in the Arizona Agri-business community,
Terry formed a corporation, BioDynamics Inc., acting as President and CEO, providing professional services in irrigation and fertilization management as related to agricultural and landscape production. This business activity developed into a large domestic and later international management product sales organization, building clientele throughout the United States and internationally. In 1997 Terry sold his interest in the corporation to a large fertilization-mining group based in Utah.
In 1997 Terry accepted a position as Director of insurance sales for commercial agricultural businesses and general businesses insurance requirements at a large insurance agency in Mesa, Arizona. He earned divisional management responsibilities as Director of the Farm and Ranch Division. As Director, his responsibilities included developing a farm and ranch business plan, contracting with special insurance markets as required to provide insurance products and in the development of additional staff within the division. The Farm and Ranch division exploded into a very large profit center for the company with record growth and the agency’s highest commission rate per account. From July 1997 to July 2005 more than 10 million in premium was generated with 1.5 million in revenue received.
Terry’s clientele includes several private and commercial agri-businesses as well as many commercial businesses in Arizona. These include several of the largest cotton processors, alfalfa hay producers, and dairy operations. On the commercial side, these clients include many construction and contractor supply business and commercial building contracting businesses within the state.
Terry is dedicated to professional and educational excellence. He is certified as Agribusiness specialist with several insurances markets with special federal license designation in Federal Crop, Multi-Peril Crop insurance programs. He serves on several association boards by invitation and appointment resulting from client business relationships. Educational achievements include BS degree from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah in 1974. He remains active in many community activities, including service in local educational, (Mesa High School Football Booster Club), church and political group activities.
Senior Account Managers Qualifications and Experience
- Marketing and Placement of large accounts
- International / Foreign Products including Pharmaceutical Products Exposures
- County Rural Fire Department Construction Experience
- Fire Suppression Systems Accounts servicing University and School Districts Statewide
- International Ballistics Panels Applications Aerospace and Department of Department of Defense
- US Military Bases
- Department of Defense
- Police Departments
- Firing Ranges
- Certificate of Insurance service preparation for clients requiring over 1200 certificates annually
- Statewide and Multi State Clients
- Large Roofing Contractors Multi-state exposures commercial projects including military bases, municipality and proving grounds
- Customer Service in all agent broker operations to provide outstanding customer support and service
- Claims reporting, monitoring and follow up
- Timely Endorsement Processing
- Policy Review and management
- Complex auto fleets
- Complex Large Equipment Operations including large commercial buildings utilizing crane operations
- Large Commercial Construction Projects
- Large Municipality Clients
- City Property - Buildings and Municipal Property
- City Operations – General Liability, Premises, Operations, Services
- Police Department
- Fire Department
- Emergency Response
- Library Operations
- City Hall
- Public Services Utilities, Refuse
- Parks and Recreation
- Large School District Clients
- Nationwide Program all property and casualty lines including bonding
- National Hotel Chains
- Multi-state programs for leisure and entertainment
- Various National Programs experience
- National Hotel Chain Programs
- National Franchised Restaurant Programs
- National Campground Program
- Retail Store Operations
- Previous experience includes large property, general liability, automobile fleets, crime coverages, umbrella / excess coverage
- Customer Service Emphasis on all areas required to provide outstanding customer support
- Certificates of Insurance with AI and Waiver of Subrogation
- Previous experience includes large property and complex auto fleets excess 450 vehicles
- Complex construction accounts including large operation 36 locations statewide
- International / Foreign Products coverage in Europe
- Pool parts and chemicals dealer
- Comfortable with complex P&C accounts
- Handled and serviced City of Page and City of Page Electric Company
- Utility Service Company
- City Public Buildings – Library, City Hall, Utility Exposures
- Police Department
- Water Treatment Facility
- Fire Department and Emergency Response
- City Buildings and Property
- Aviation and Large Aircraft Product Liability International in Scope
- Administered Statewide Malpractice Program covering 90% of Doctor Osteopathic Medicine
- Statewide Specialty Program Service and Management
- Captive program for 320 participating insured’s through the Arizona Tooling Machine Association statewide machine shop program
- Managed clients and programs with premiums of $4,000,000 plus in annualized premium